Launch strategy: Read about our Client Successes and Case Studies: Credit Cards
The joint venture company between a leading bank and a major Retailer launched the management and operations of a Credit Card. The bank sought to exploit their successful credit card expertise and management to expand the Credit Card business and customer base, utilising the sizable distribution network and existing strong brand.
The Arcus team was in operation for six months and consisted of experts, covering all discipline from the Cards Business. After Arcus were awarded the contract, a multi-disciplined program team was established to manage the delivery of a product proposition, regulatory approval and the set-up of a full service Operations across two jurisdictions to manage customers via the phone, web and branch network and to liaise with the retail partner. The team consisted of Bank and external staff with expertise in credit card products, credit risk, operational management, contact centre, finance, process design, legal, compliance, IT, supplier management and project management.
Scope of work
Major elements of the program included:
- Building a 5 year Business Case, including the income and cost model and achieving Executive approval to proceed with a formal tender response.
- Developing the response to the tender, including the commercial arrangements, followed by the formal conclusion of a tri-partite contract.
- Managing the product design process to identify a product with a unique proposition to launch in a crowded market.
- Managing the selection and due diligence process to engage an out-sourcing partner to manage the New Business process.
- Engaging with individual business units and suppliers to prepare and execute plans to develop and build their systems, processes and procedures and to ensure regulatory Approval.
- Navigating the compliance agenda, itself undergoing change, with the introduction of new Consumer legislation.
- Creating the new management structure to oversee the new business line and to establish the governance for managing the overall Product Proposition jointly with the retail partner.
- Managing a soft launch phase of 3 weeks followed by an immediate roll-out nationwide and the launch of the phone and web channel.
The following results were achieved:
- The product launched in Fall 2008, to significant press comment on the product innovation and two industry awards, including one for technology.
- Three thousand applications were received on the first full day of national rollout.
- The first 100,000 credit cards were issued to new customers prior to the first anniversary of launch.
- The programme delivered within budget and to the agreed launch date.
- The product has been very quickly established as a substantial portfolio within the overall credit card base issued by the Bank has been able to demonstrate its partnership capability particularly in dealing with high application volumes.