The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
Reporting to: Board of Directors, through the President
Location: Ontario Ringette Association, 305 Milner Avenue, Suite 912. Scarborough, ON M1B 3V4 Phone: (416) 426-7204. Please visit the ORA website to learn more about the organization.
- Board and Staff
- Ringette Canada
- ORA Committees
- Local Associations
- Other organizations and funding agencies
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
What you will do:
- Implement board policy and decisions
- Operational planning and management
- Program planning and management
- Human resources planning and management
- Financial planning and management
- Community relations/advocacy
- Risk management
See a detailed job profile below
What you will bring:
- Volunteer, marketing and general management experience
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong communication skills with a capacity to engage, motivate and inspire teams
- Experience leading and managing multi-functional teams
- Management and leadership experience with an ability to build relationships
What you can expect:
- Opportunities for personal growth; culture and practices that support continuous learning and career development
- Performance rewards and a great team of staff, volunteers, coaches and stakeholders
- Manage a motivated team of staff, players, volunteers and coaches
- Competitive base salary, family health benefits, vacation, additional in lieu time off, pension contribution, etc.
- Several other customized benefits such as flex hours and professional development may be considered to meet the expectations of the selected candidate
The Executive Director performs the following:
Implement board policy and decisions
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization’s activities
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization to inspire, promote and engage with current and future players, parents, coaches, volunteers, media and other stakeholder groups.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s profile
- Oversee development and implementation of orientation for in-coming Board Members
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization and meet expectations of board, staff, funders and other stakeholders.
- Ensure appropriate staffing consistent with community and member needs and within the constraints of the organization’s physical and financial resources
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure that personnel, coach, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization’s mission
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures
Financial planning and management
- Work with staff and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Ensure development of annual budget, within the context of the operating plans, and present to Board Treasurer for evaluation and modification as required
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide the Board with regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments
- Communicate with stakeholders such as national, provincial and local associations, coaches, players, parents and volunteers to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (stakeholders, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
Qualifications, Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Related Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in managing volunteers, kids, sports or education related organizations
- Familiarity with PC computer applications
- Experience in initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/ voluntary organizations
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including: employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage etc…
- Knowledge of human resources, financial, project, operational and strategic management
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Financial management
The Executive Director should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
|Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
|Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
|Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
|Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
|Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
|Focus on Client Needs
|Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
|Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
|Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
|Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
|Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
|Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
|Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
|Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience
- Working Conditions
- Executive Directors usually work in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- Executive Directors work a standard work week, but additionally will often work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events.
- Development of strong working relationships with all relevant organizations, staff and Board
- Enhancement of the organization’s image
- Complete satisfaction of Contract requirements
- Successfully carrying out the prime functions of the job description